Varicose veins, also known as varicosities, develop when the veins expand, widen, and get overfilled with blood. They are swollen veins with a bluish-purple or red appearance. Varicose and spider veins patients in Singapore and abroad can sometimes feel pain due to the condition. It is a common issue among women. However, it can also occur in men.
Diagnosing Varicose Veins
Your doctor will perform a physical assessment on you to determine the appropriate varicose veins treatment course for patients in Singapore. It can include looking at your legs while standing to check for oedema on varicose or spider veins. Your clinician may also ask you to detail any leg discomfort or soreness.
The doctor might also recommend getting a venous Doppler ultrasonography at their vein clinic in Singapore on your leg to diagnose varicose veins. It is a noninvasive diagnostic method that employs sound waves to examine blood flow through vein valves. Leg ultrasonography can aid in the detection of a blood clot.
Varicose Veins Treatment Options
Doctors may recommend using several methods for varicose veins treatment in patients in Singapore. Furthermore, most treatments for varicose veins are outpatient procedures. It means you generally go home the same day. The following are methods that can help manage the condition.
#1 Self-care Procedures
Self-care measures such as exercise, lifting the legs while sitting or laying down, and using compression stockings can help relieve varicose vein discomfort. It can also prevent varicose and spider veins in patients in Singapore and abroad from worsening.
#2 Compression Stockings
Wearing compression stockings all day is a common initial step for varicose and spider veins treatment in patients in Singapore and abroad. The compression stockings work to cinch the legs. It allows veins and leg muscles to flow blood more effectively. Most pharmacies and medical supply businesses carry compression stockings.
#3 Surgeries and Other Procedures
If self-care and compression stockings are ineffective, or if the varicose veins are severe, a health care practitioner may offer other treatment methods. There are a few surgeries and other procedures that a vein clinic in Singapore and abroad can perform on patients. They are:
- The doctor will inject a solution or foam into the varicose veins to scar and close them. Varicose veins should diminish in size after a few weeks of treatment. It is also possible for your doctor to address the same vein for several sessions. Patients can receive sclerotherapy at a vein clinic in Singapore. Also, it does not require anaesthesia.
- Laser therapy delivers powerful bursts of light to the vein. It reduces the size of varicose or spider veins in patients in Singapore and causes them to vanish over time. The procedure does not require making cuts or using needles.
- Catheter-based procedures often use radiofrequency or laser radiation for treatment. It is also the varicose veins treatment for patients in Singapore with more severe issues. The doctor inserts a catheter into an enlarged vein and uses radiofrequency or laser radiation to heat the tip of the catheter. The heat causes the vein to compress and seal shut after withdrawing the catheter.
Vein Stripping or High Ligation
- This method entails tying off a vein before it connects to a deep vein and then eliminating the vein by minor incisions. It is an outpatient procedure at a vein clinic in Singapore. Removing the vein will not stop blood flow in the leg since deeper veins handle more substantial amounts of blood.
- The doctor will remove smaller varicose veins through microscopic skin punctures. The pierced areas of the leg are numbed in this outpatient procedure at a vein clinic in Singapore. Patients usually notice minor scarring after the procedure.
#4 Lifestyle Changes & Home Remedies
Most patients with varicose or spider veins in Singapore can adjust their lifestyles and apply home treatments for varicose veins. Walking is an excellent exercise for increasing blood flow in the legs. Losing weight relieves needless strain on the veins. To avoid oedema caused by water retention, eat a low-salt diet. Low-heeled shoes put more pressure on the calf muscles, which is excellent for your veins. Wearing tight clothing around your waist, legs, or groyne might restrict blood flow. Also, change your position periodically to promote blood flow.
#5 Alternative Medications
There is still insufficient research regarding various alternative remedies. Most claim to be effective varicose veins treatment options for patients in Singapore against chronic venous insufficiency. It is a disorder related to varicose veins in which the leg veins have difficulty returning blood to the heart.
Alternative varicose vein treatments may include horse chestnuts, butcher’s broom, grapes (leaves, sap, seed and fruit), and sweet clover. Consult your doctor at a reputable vein clinic in Singapore before using any herb or dietary supplement. It ensures that it is safe and will not conflict with your medications.
What to Do at Your Appointment
Your doctor may refer you to a specialist. It can be a phlebologist, a vascular surgeon, or a dermatologist (dermatologist or dermatology surgeon). Meanwhile, there are several things you may do to be ready for your visit to the vein clinic in Singapore.
List the various symptoms you experience before your visit. It can include those that appear unrelated to varicose veins. Also, note when you started to experience each varicose vein symptom and how severe they are. Compile crucial personal information, like if there is any family history of varicose or spider veins. Carefully note any drugs, vitamins, and supplements you take and their dosages. You might also make a list of questions to ask your doctor on your visit to the vein clinic in Singapore.
Visit a Reputable Vein Clinic for Appropriate Treatment
Visit Dr Cheng to receive a comprehensive examination of your varicose or spider veins. Their vein clinic in Singapore provides a one-stop shop for treating venous and arterial disorders, including endovascular surgery. You can make an appointment at the clinic for any venous issues. Learn more about Dr Cheng, their clinic, and other services by visiting their website.