By the time you get married, all you can think about is having a happily ever after. However, that is not always the case. You see, our life is not a Disney movie nor a fairy tale story. It is a reality. Therefore, expect life to be full of surprises. A compilation of ups and downs that could change your life for the better or worst. Well, you probably know all about that now. Perhaps, that is the reason why you are here today. You think that your marriage is over and you would want to take a step forward and file a divorce. Fret not since you are not alone in this matter. There are others, too, who are experiencing the same situation as yours right now. Also, you can ask a lawyer to help you with the entire process of divorce in Singapore. As a result, you will become more at ease once you file one. So, here, take a look at what you can expect when you hire a divorce lawyer.
What Must You Expect from a Divorce Lawyer?
Great! You finally took a step forward. You probably have thought these for months or even for years. Nevertheless, you did it right. It would be best to file a divorce and get a lawyer in Singaporerather than staying in a toxic marriage. However, before you do so, you probably want to know what you can expect from them and the entire process as well. So, keep reading and know the answers to your questions.
What Things Should You Bring on Your First Consultation?
The truth is, you do not have to bring anything at all on your first visit. That is what most people usually do as well. However, if you submit one or two, it would help you with your case. You see, while your lawyer’s job is to gather details for you, what you have will help them a lot to plan out your gameplay.
Listed below are a few examples of what you can bring:
- Love note
- Pictures of their mistress (if there is any)
- Tax return slip
- Bank statement
What Can You Anticipate Once You Arrive on Your First Meeting?
For sure, while you are preparing to gather evidence to submit on your first meeting with them, you are wondering what will happen to you later on. Is it the same as when you visit in the hospital, whereas they will call your name and concern out loud? Of course not. You would not encounter such things. Well, in contrast to your imagination, there will be fewer people in the waiting room. Sometimes, you will be waiting there alone. Once it is your turn, they will not call your name. They will call out the number slip that you have in your hand.
The reason they are doing this is that they want to protect their clients. The lawyer in Singapore knows what will happen to the familyif others know about their situation. Also, to prevent having the two clients (you and your spouse ) for the same case.
During the Meeting
- Questions About Your Contact and Personal Details
- They have to know everything about this so they could prepare well for your case. Do not worry. A lawyer in Singapore knows best not to call your landline or send a mail to your address without your consent. They will ask you first before they do such things.
- Right after your contact information, they access your marriage like when you got married and what happened to it so far.
- Questions About Your Minor Child or Children
- Aside from that, they will also ask about your kids. More so, the minor ones. Your lawyer needs to know how well your relationship with your child or children is. At this point, your lawyer is accessing whether you have the right for legal custody. So, make sure to cooperate and be honest with them.
- Questions About Your Finances
- They will be asking this for two reasons. One is to know if your financial stability to file a divorce, while the other is to know if your spouse is giving you enough funds to raise your family. At this moment, your lawyers might ask you to show your net worth, income, and expenses.
- Questions About the Reasons Why You Want to File a Divorce
- While for this question, they want to know who did what and with whom. For example, if you caught your spouse cheating, who is the other person. Are you close to them? If so, how long do you think they have been together and committing adultery?
Discussion After the First Meeting
At this point, the process of divorce in Singapore begins. They will show you the game plan on how you would win your case.For sure, they would encourage you to ask some questions from your health insurance if your legal status changes. So, if you can, make sure to ask those parties involved before meeting your lawyer again.
Do You Still Have More Questions About the Process of Divorce in Singapore?
Hopefully, this article has helped you understand the initial process of divorce in Singapore. Also, on what you can expect once you find a lawyer that will handle your case. However, if you still have questions that you have in mind, never keep it all bottled up. It would be best to ask a divorce lawyer in Singapore rather than searching for answers on the internet. Well, to give you a hand, call Lie Chin Chin. They are a law firm that is always here ready to answer any question related to divorce. So, do not hesitate you drop off your concern through their website.
Did you find this article helpful? Then, feel free to share it with your family and friends who think their marriage is over. It would help them understand the initial process of divorce in Singapore.