Are you and your kids ready for our BIGGEST Great Glasses Play Day event yet?!?
Dr. Nate and Cristina gave a 2 hour lecture on the topic children’s vision, children’s glasses, and eye exams. As part of the FOCAL Education meeting, the talk was given to approximately 100 opticians from around the state of Florida. The event took place December 6 and 7 at the gorgeous Gaylord Palms resort near Orlando, Florida.
Dr. Nate spoke primarily on how and why children’s eye exams are performed and visual conditions such as strabismus and amblyopia that affect children. Much of the discussion centered on vision therapy and how it is used to benefit children who have vision problems that interfere with the tasks that are neccessary for school, such as reading, writing, and computer use.
Cristina’s portion of the talk focused mostly about the specialty of infant’s and children’s glasses. This included the different frame styles and materials of children’s glasses, selecting the right size frames for the child, adjusting the frames to stay in place, as well as techniques for working with young children in the professional setting.
For the first time the whole Bonilla-Warford family was involved. Dr. Nate’s and Cristina’s children agreed to be models. Lecture attendees selected glasses from a special “children’s optical” display made just for the lecture. Participants learned about fitting glasses and taking the measurements needed for ordering glasses to ensure the best children’s vision.
The Gaylord Palms resort was in full holiday swing, with a tree lighting ceremony with singers and acrobatics as well as the famous ICE exhibit. A wonderful time was had by all.
Dr. Nate, Cristina, and Dr. Knighton enjoy lecturing about children’s vision and children’s glasses to professional and educational groups of all sizes. Bright Eyes Kids is finalizing our lecture schedule for 2015 now. If you have a group of doctors or other professionals who work with kids (such as occupational therapists or educational specialists), or a parent group (such as homeschooling or PTA), and would like us to come speak, please call 813-792-0637.
Wow, what an exciting year 2014 has been at Bright Eyes! Below is a short list of major events for us.
- Bright Eyes Kids is Open! The new office is just for kids. The new office, located in New Tampa, provides exams, glasses, contacts, one a week vision therapy, and orthokeratology. The new office is already growing! Starting in January 2015, it will have hours on weekends and evenings!
- Welcome Dr. Knighton! She joined the Bright Eyes family in March. Just like Dr. Nate, she completed her Residency in pediatric vision care and Vision Therapy, and she specializes in contact lenses and primary vision care for the entire family.
- Dr. Nate gets his FCOVD! After 4 years of study, Dr. Nate has achieved Fellowship from the College of Optometrists in Vision Development, making him the only optometrist in Tampa to be residency-trained and FCOVD.
- Bright Eyes on TV – You can see Dr. Nate and Dr. Beth on the local TV show CW44 on the Town, discussing children’s vision, vision therapy and the new pediatric office. See the whole video below or a short version on the Bright Eyes Kids webpage.
- Dr. Nate, Dr. Beth, and Cristina lecturing. We have given many talks this year to eye doctors, opticians, occupational therapists, students and other groups on the subjects of children’s vision and eyewear. If you have a professional, homeschool, or a parent group and would like us to speak at one of your events, email us at office@BrightEyesTampa.com or call 813-792-0637.
Thank you for helping to make 2014 a wonderful year for Bright Eyes.
We are here to empower our patients through improved vision.
If there is anything we can to help you, or if we could improve in any way, please let us know!
REMINDER: Many of our patients have vision plans or flex/HSA benefits that expire at the end of the year. There is still time to make an appointment and make good use of your benefits!
Have a Merry Christmas and an awesome 2015!
-Dr. Nate, Dr. Beth, and the Bright Eyes Staff