Whether it’s for business or leisure, the thought of moving your files and associated items into storage can be a little stressful. After all, those important documents and products need to remain secure and in excellent condition for when they are eventually needed in the future. Misplacement or damage could lead to some very serious problems.
So, how can you be sure that your valuable files will be kept in the perfect condition? Here’s all you need to know.
Before Doing Anything Else, Declutter
While several of your personal and professional files will need to be kept, it’s likely that you’ve been guilty of holding onto several products that are no longer needed. This could include expired warranties, invoices that are no longer required, or outdated contact details. Frankly, packing them when they could be thrown away would be madness.
Use this opportunity to declutter by disposing of rubbish, including but not limited to the files. This saves you the hassle of moving the items into storage and getting them back out again in the future. Thanks to modern technology, you can also convert some items into the digital arena, which will save space and cut down on your use of paper for many years to come.
Packing Your Files In Style
Packing your files is one of the more complex challenges that you’ll face, which is why you must ensure that you have the right packaging materials. Boxes, containers, filing cabinets, labels, tape, and other items may be required. You can find the best products here. Write down an inventory of what you need to store, and this should allow you to make calculated decisions.
Once you have all the materials you need, use the following checklist to achieve the desired goals:
- Pack files in airtight containers as this will ensure that they stay free from mildew and moisture, which have the potential to cause major damage to documents.
- Label all boxes for easy access and management of those files in future visits. You may wish to create a computerised document or spreadsheet to aid the cause.
- Employ a filing cabinet system for achieve documents and files.
- Use a safe for ultra-sensitive documents to ensure that even a break-in won’t cause damage.
- Create a calculated floor plan layout so that you can quickly and efficiently move between different areas of the storage unit.
- Use pallets or other tools to keep files raised off of the ground as this will prevent moisture damage sustained during flooding.
Do this, and your files will be safer than ever.
Choosing The Right Storage Facility
Preparing your files for storage in the right way is crucial, but you must not overlook the importance of choosing the perfect self storage company. If they fail to protect your possessions in a safe and secure environment, none of the steps you’ve taken will matter. Click here to learn more about self storage units and what they can do for you. This info will help you consider what’s required.
When supported by the right steps in regards to your own packing, success is assured.